Voting Overseas

Any Singapore citizen residing overseas who satisfies the qualifying criteria may apply to the Elections Department to be registered as an overseas elector to cast his vote at one of the 10 overseas polling stations. Besides the overseas polling station that is allotted to him, the person will also be allotted a polling station in Singapore during an election, where he can go to cast his vote if he is back in Singapore on Polling Day.

The overseas polling stations are located within 10 designated Singapore High Commissions, Embassies or Consulates in countries/cities where there is a significant number of Singaporeans.

During an election, the date and hours of the overseas polls will be published in the Singapore Government Gazette and announced through the Singapore media, as well as the websites of the Elections Department and Overseas Missions that serve as overseas polling stations.

Every overseas elector is allowed to vote only once during an election either at the overseas polling station or local polling station that has been allotted to him. Any overseas elector who goes to vote at the local polling station allotted to him will be required to make a declaration that he had not voted in the same election before he can be issued with a ballot paper.


Any Singapore citizen who is residing overseas may apply to be registered as an overseas elector to cast his vote at one of the 10 designated overseas polling stations, if he satisfies the following qualifying criteria:

As of the cut-off date for the Registers of Electors, he:

  1. is a citizen of Singapore (holder of pink NRIC);

  2. is not less than 21 years of age;

  3. is not disqualified from being an elector under any prevailing law; and

  4. (i) has a Singapore residential address on his NRIC; or

    (ii) if he is residing overseas, and has changed his NRIC address to an overseas address, he must have a contact address in Singapore that he has registered with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), also known as a Local Contact Address(LCA); and

  5. has resided in Singapore for an aggregate of at least 30 days during the 3-year period before the cut-off date.


For any Singapore citizen residing overseas who had changed his NRIC address to an overseas address with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority after the cut-off date of the current Registers of Electors, he will need to register a contact address in Singapore, also known as a Local Contact Address (LCA), in order to have his name entered or retained in the Registers of Electors when the registers are next revised.

As elections in Singapore are conducted by constituency (also known as electoral division) basis, having an LCA will allow the Elections Department to allot the voter to an electoral division to vote in an election.

The LCA must either be:

  1. the address of any residential property in Singapore that the person owns an estate or interest in; or

  2. the residential address in Singapore of:

    (i) his spouse, grandparent, parent, sibling, child, grandchild;

    (ii) any grandparent, parent or sibling of his spouse;

    (iii) any sibling of any of his parents or his spouse’s parents; or

    (iv) any child of any of his siblings or his spouse’s siblings.

To register for an LCA, an overseas Singaporean may submit an application online via the Services provided on this website using Singpass.